Thursday, August 26, 2004

Blogs; the new millenniums version of therapy

I've been thinking about my grandfather a lot for the past couple of weeks. First it was his birthday on August 11 (he would have been 93) and then I read a couple of other people's blogs about family members having Alzheimer's (which he had). I started really thinking about that time of his life when his doctor diagnosed him as probably having it and then him progressing to the point that it was so obvious that he had it. I told my mom about the blogs that mentioned Alzheimer's and how I had given some advice to one person about things they could do to help their grandfather. I told my mom how I was thinking about posting about it myself and she was surprised. She said why would I want to share something so personal and put it out there for just anyone to see. I think that's actually the appeal of it all. We all have these thoughts in our heads and I think we all think deep and meaningful stuff much, much more often than anyone would ever know because we don't share it with anyone. How often do we have "deep and meaningful" conversations with our friends and family? I mean do you just call up your friend and say "Hey, wanna talk about all of the stuff I had to deal with when I lived with my grandfather and he had Alzheimer's?" A blog is somewhere you can go and spill your guts on any subject at all. It doesn't have to be relevant to a damn thing. And people can read it and comment or read it and you never even knew they were there. Sometimes people you don't even know come read your stuff and comment. And it all makes you feel so great because you know that there are people out there who are hearing you and responding to you. It's a way for the world to seem so much smaller and you can connect with people everywhere.

1 Comments:

At August 26, 2004 at 10:27 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Have you read "Losing My Mind" by Tom DeBaggio? He had Alzheimers and wrote a book about it while he still could. I tihnk it's a worthwhile read. It scares me a bit. My dad had it, or some form of dementia, when he died at 86, but if I have a genetic predisposition, it could strike earlier. But I'm okay today, and that's the real important thing. Thanks for visiting my blog. Some do but never post, but it's nice for the occasional person to say hello.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home